Monday 11 January 2010

Don Quixote



In a village in La Mancha, whose name I do not care to recall, there lived, not very long ago, one of those gentlemen who keep a lance in the lance-rack, an ancient shield, a skinny old horse, and a fast greyhound.

After approx. 2 years of reading Don Quixote, I can announce that I have finally finished! In my defense I read Frankenstein (not very long) and re read A Short History of Nearly Everything (You'd think it would still be massive but actually its a mid sized book. Easily one of my favorite books of all time. The quintessential toilet read in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to Mr. Bryson's new release in a similar vein but dealing with social history) and also lots of A Lost Continent (by the same author ( also pretty small), also mostly on the lav.)

Not the easiest book too read anyhow, I think I made my task somewhat harder by buying an early 18th century translation in order to stay true to the spirit in which the book was originally written. Although I could and regularly did put the book down, I found the book entertaining, humorous and thought provoking. I have heard that some editions cut out many of the literary excursions the book takes. What a shame as the moral heart of the book lay within these stories. I must admit to a true sense of achievement upon the books completion.

Sancho Panca is the comedic foil for Don Quixote and my favorite character in the book, but the true genius of his character is the fact that within this fool some of the most erudite and meaningful lines in the book exist

"...while I am asleep, I feel neither hope nor despair; I am free from pain and insensible of glory. Now blessings light on him that first invented this same sleep: it covers man a man all over, thoughts and all like a cloak; its is meat for the hungry, drink for the thirsty, heat for the cold, and cold for the hot. It is the current coin that purchases all the pleasures of the world cheap; and the balance that sets the king and the Shepard, the fool and the wise man even. There is only one thing, which somebody put into my head, that i dislike in sleep; it is, that it resembles death; there is very little difference between a man in his first sleep, and a man in his last sleep." Although he is almost always long winded and filled with a never ending stream of proverbs and witticisms.
A full appraisal of the book is beyond the scope of my blog and the time of night, but i will finish by heartily recommending that if you have a spare few years - get the book, you wont be disappointed. My next stop A Botany of Desire then The Yiddish Policemans Union which I want to read befor eit gets made into the film directed by the Coen bro's.

No comments:

Post a Comment