Wednesday 27 January 2010

Shooby Taylor/ B J Snowden





Starting from when I was around 10 years old or so, I used to stay up all night watching T.V. I have seen many weird and macabre things, not least those two odd welsh people who used to do an alternative movie review show.

One night I switched on and decided to watch a program on channel 4 called Songs in the Key of Z, about outsider music. I must say that this program has had a strong effect on my sensibilities and strengthened my interest in the odd and those things outside of the mainstream.

Needless to say I bought the album and included are these two gems that I have included above, Shooby Taylor the human horn and B J Snowden. Shooby led a tragic life, and not many of his works survive. I used to know all the lyrics to his songs. As for B J and her unnatural admiration for all things Canadian, she is a music teacher in the states believe it or not. My favorite bit of the song is the word Saskatchewan. I provide a link to amazon should you be sufficiently impressed to want to purchase the album yourselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Songs-Key-Curious-Universe-Outsider/dp/1556523726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264592356&sr=8-1

1 comment:

  1. The Human Horn is sampled in the opening credits of The Adam and Joe Show. So that's where it came from. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete